Friday, April 18, 2014

Just a couple random and maybe odd ways we use everyday items

This one has no life’s lesson, no comparisons of carting in plastic milk jugs from the van to carrying heavy loads in life, nothing deep.  Totally random.  Hard for me to pinpoint why I even jotted this down.  I was cleaning out my desk drawer with Bronwyn and I thought how lucky I am to have so many implements at my disposal, so I made a list.  You know I like a good list.

One of my favorite items I’ve used the past few years has been a huge old dictionary that was falling apart.  I started tearing out its pages to recycle them and felt guilty, all that useful paper, still glued to its binding for easy tearing out.  So I’ve used the pages for wrapping gifts, as a mat in my picture frame and as a liner for my desk drawer.  I’m thinking scrap paper, you’d just have to use a Sharpie to make your message show up.  I also use maps from our trips as background for our scrapbook pages and to wrap gifts.  I know, I might be the type to file them according to what part of the country they describe.  And yet I’m really not.

We use Alfredo jars as glasses.  Pint-sized jars for kids’ drinks.  Perfect size.  Quart bottles for Todd and other men who come to dinner.  No need for quite as many refills.  I’ve also never owned one of those cool glass cups that measure liquids, although I’ve always secretly wanted one.  I just grab a quart jar and can estimate pretty accurately after so many years; lines are on the sides if we need to be sure.

An over-sized red tool box acts as our first aid kit.  Large metal-framed hiking backpacks from garage sales work as our 72-hour kits.  We’ve also found regular old school backpacks at garage sales for $.50-$1.00 for the kids’ kits.

My sister used to make and sell frames using scrapbook paper.  We have a huge apple-type box full of all sorts of odd-sized scrap bits she saved for us that is pulled out weekly for some project, whether a science fair tri-fold board, gift tags, holiday pennants, shelf paper, liner for my desk organizer or collages to cover composition books.  A true treasure box!

I still have four wooden placemats from our wedding—folk art scenes—that I’ve always loved.  They became our backsplash above our cabinets; we’ve used them that way ever since we moved into our first home 14 years ago.

Shoe boxes are a rare find in our house, and they’re cherished.  They hold flashlights and batteries.  Bronwyn uses them to make lockers for her babies’ school days.  I use them on the high shelf in my kitchen cupboards to hold large spice containers and cupcake liners and for corralling all the random objects we find when we’re cleaning up (Legos, Nerf bullets, hair bobbles, you know the culprits).  Like most parents, we recognize the value in an especially large box and milk it for all its worth.  They don’t sell toys that versatile.

Twine works well to hang Christmas cards with clothes pins on either side of the hall, as well as kids’ artwork during the school year.  And of course to wrap gifts.  It’s like $1.38 at the farm store.  I hang hand-knit baby sweaters and socks in our laundry room, same way.  I also use clothespins to hold bags of cheese or chips shut.  I’m sure most people do.

An ugly tiny address book that somehow ended up in our house guards our passwords.  Hated to just give it away.

I have four push pins in my closet wall for my necklaces.  If you read my post about my wardrobe you’ll understand that I don’t own that many necklaces and why this works like a charm.

Our Basmati rice used to come in these cool burlap bags with handles.  They are perfect for gardening gloves, so I hang two by the back door in the garage.  I have two others hanging in our mud room closet: one for plastic shopping bags and another for my bread bags.  Since we’re talking about burlap bags, I’ve found huge ones for $.50 to $1.00 each at the local farm store.  Cut to size, they make excellent place mats and runners.

The socks and plastic containers and their lids have made some sort of secret arrangement because no matter what I put in the dishwasher or clothes washer, rarely do matches come out.  So we use the left-over socks for school whiteboards and to make rice bags.  And for a grown-up version of the matching game.  For the days when I can’t think of anything else to do.  We use the lone containers to corral nail polish and makeup in our bathroom drawers.  Leftover lids are perfect plastic plates when small guests come over because they’re just the right size and come with a ledge.  (You’ve probably gathered I hate using paper products.)  Like most of you, we keep our Costco-sized sour cream and cottage cheese containers, perfect for taking soup and a fruit salad to a sick friend; no dishes to have to think about.  Todd has his screws and nails organized in those Costco nut containers with the screw-top lids.  I’ve asked my friend to save her baby food containers (those little rectangle ones with lids) for me.  They are perfect for lunches.  They hold peanut butter to dip apples, Ranch for carrots, or salad dressing for Avery’s salads.  We also keep one in our mudroom especially for box-tops.  No need to recycle these containers quite yet; they all still have several good years of use in them.

Our safe not only holds our precious items, but also things like Andrew’s gas money (he has very little self control), as well as the cord that can link Mitchell to the internet.  He bought a computer for his room, but we guard his internet access.  I know safes are generally for jewels, but you know how many jewels I care about.  Our precious items include our birth certificates.  Nothing too crazy.

We use small flower pots for our toothbrushes and for silverware when we have large gatherings.  Saves me setting the table.  Speaking of toothbrushes, I stick them in the dishwasher, along with everything from sponges to the filters under our microwave.  If I’m using all that hot water and soap, might as well be efficient about it.  No use scrubbing unless you have to.  Another thing about toothbrushes.  Just the right size scrubbing brush to clean the toilet seat hinges, window sills, the filter in my washing machine, and the cracks in my wooden table.

We were hiking behind King Henry apartments years ago in Provo and happened upon an old tractor seat.  It and two seatmates hang on our entrance-area wall.  Todd bought two outdoor lanterns that he hung in our dining area.  I love the added dimension of rusty items that stick out a few inches.  He also found an old rusted plow disc that we used on our table filled with fall sticks and dried potpourri stuff, later small boughs for Christmas.  Now it’s in the backyard screwed into a Christmas tree trunk from a couple years back as a birdbath.

We get several boxes of apples and peaches from Utah every fall.  Most are plain white and really sturdy, so I store all my gifts in my closet.  Labeled of course: Friend Gifts, Birthday Party Gifts, Family Gifts, and Baby Gifts.  I love having an extra set of “drawers.”  We also use them for our toy closet, so tidy with them all the same size.  Larger cardboard boxes are for all the bigger toys to keep them separate and labeled: puzzles, Duplos, baby clothes, wooden train, baby toys.  They’ve lasted for years.

Todd’s parents inherited quite a large backyard of junk when they bought their resort in Northern Minnesota 15 years ago.  We loved hiking through the woods and coming back with treasures.  Our favorite finds were old broken out windows.  Todd put mirrors in about three that we have hanging in our house.  One is cream-colored and still has glass.  I put scrapbook paper in old-fashioned browns behind the glass with pictures of us and the temple and a quote for our bedroom.  One we painted white for the bathroom; the others are still peeling and chipped with brownish-reddish paint.  We have one with no glass that gets awesomely dusty and cobwebby hanging out in our garage all year, always in perfect condition for Halloween decorating.

We especially love old wooden boxes, perfect for nightstands and book shelves.  Large rusted cans hold magazines or plants.  I used an old soda bottle box for my spices; the slots were the perfect size.

I know it’s a little unconventional, but I guess I just can’t see the point of wasting.  And just because something is advertised to be used in a given way shouldn’t limit its potential.  So we keep our eyes open and our items in case we find a way to use them down the road.  Of course we re-use plastic spoons and forks, even the ones from DQ Blizzards or Café Rio meals.  And the containers lunch meat comes in.  And bags of all kinds.  Obviously bread bags are perfect for storing my homemade bread.  I wash out large zip-lock bags.  I take my lunch in gift bags that are too wrinkled to use again.  I also have a small (used check) box that holds used twist-ties and bread tabs.  I suppose that’s all a little over-the-top, although I’m not sure why everyone doesn’t.  I’ve ironed ribbon to use again.  Printed paper napkins too.  But I guess that’s more than I needed to share.  At least until we get to know each other a little better.  I’ll just let you get on with your day, perhaps leaving you to scratch your head, wondering how on earth a girl could be so weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment