Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Orbits

“The same God that placed that star in a precise orbit millennia before it appeared over Bethlehem in celebration of the birth of the Babe has given at least equal attention to placement of each of us in precise human orbits so that we may, if we will, illuminate the landscape of our individual lives, so that our light may not only lead others but warm them as well” (Neal A. Maxwell).

This is fascinating to ponder.  Could it be true? I believe so.  I have been the beneficiary of so many stars aligning, of so many good women who have been just the light I needed at a particular junction, who somehow showed up in my life at exactly the right time.

"None of us ever fully utilizes the people-opportunities allocated to us within our circles of friendship.  You and I may call these intersecting 'coincidence.' This word is understandable for mortals to use, but coincidence is not an appropriate word to describe the workings of an omniscient God.  He does not do things by 'coincidence' but...by 'divine design'' (Neal A. Maxwell).

How He coordinates so many lives and gets us all in the right spots boggles my mind.  Makes me think of lining up kindergarteners for picture day.  And yet I learned years ago to not worry about the hows.  Simply be prepared to be amazed.  And humbled.  That He knows us that intimately.  That He cares that much. That He can make it all happen just like that.  Just when we need that one star to show up.

I guess the question I have, and maybe we all have, is could we possibly be someone else’s star? Is there any way in the world we could possibly have had that same impact, or have shed even the tiniest light, on any one of our fellow travelers?  I don’t think we can ever really know the influence we’re having, and maybe that’s none of our business quite frankly.  So much of this is personal, just for God to know.

But I guess I just can’t help but think about my orbit.  And yours.  Why are we here? Now? In this country, in this state, in this neighborhood, in this family?

What are we doing to make sure our own lights don’t dim so that we’re shining when we need to help someone else through a dark patch?  Are we cognizant of the people in our orbits? I mean really aware? Are we asking God to borrow His lens every now and then so we can see a little more clearly what He sees?  

And maybe there have been times when you’ve felt wiggly, a little unsettled, a little out of place.  Maybe you’ve wondered what you’re doing here. And maybe you haven’t. But I have.  Not everyday.  But every so often I wonder why He put me in this particular orbit. I sometimes wonder if maybe God’s made a mistake just this once.

But you know God as well as I do.  And that He never makes a mistake.  And that we are more precious than any star. Or planet. Or galaxy.  And if the earth sits at precisely the right angle and the exact distance it needs to from the sun so as not to burn us and not to freeze us, maybe He knows what He’s doing with the people who live on it.

And even as I don’t know everyone in my sphere of influence, and I feel like I’m just coasting along without much to go on, I trust God.  That He has some kind of idea about things.  And that He can use us.  Because He’s the one who put us here.  It’s up to us to find out why. And to shine right where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment