Wednesday, January 24, 2018

While we're waiting

As always, I’m scrambling with dinner when the kids have to be out the door in no time.  I was restless as I watched my bacon sizzle for BLTs so they could eat before they had to leave, wishing it to cook faster than nature’s laws allow. But as I left it frying, I assembled the lettuce and tomatoes and put some bread in to toast.  I returned to my post happily surprised by how much progress my little strips had made.  Allaying my angst.

I remembered last week.  I’d made a cake and basked in the sweet scent permeating the kitchen air until I went to take it out and saw the three raw eggs in the bowl on the counter.  Not one of them embedded in the cake within the oven.  This was 8:23.  I had a meeting at nine with a luncheon immediately following.  I had only one choice.  Obviously I started over, making sure the eggs were where they belonged. But, typically Caren, and always for a variety of interesting reasons, I was running super close to my deadline.  So I stood sentinel near the oven, coaxing it to puff up and tighten and brown faster.  Which does nothing but raise my anxiety.  I still had to make the topping, brush my teeth, and get my stuff together.  So I stepped away and left my little cake on its own while I went about my other business.

I’ve used this technique repeatedly.  Usually when cooking, but all over the place really.  I’m always pushing the clock, so instead of getting all worked up I’ve noticed I do better when I use my waiting time to do something productive.  Instead of hovering over my toast, I put on my mascara.  Instead of waiting for someone to get back to me, I leave my phone in my room and come down to handle dinner.  That insane pick-up line at school, love it!  I just read my articles and my mail.  I finally get back to the friends who’d written earlier in the day or read a little something in my book.  (On a good day, I even take a nap!) Relationships that are a little tense? Sometimes it's best to just step back and give it some time.

I just think there’s something more here.  I’ve noticed this works even on the big things in life.  How often do we hover over God, willing Him to move the pieces of our lives a little faster, getting more impatient with every passing day that our prayers are seemingly unanswered?  Instead of checking the pasta again, butter the garlic bread.  Instead of shaking our fists at Him, find someone who needs you and spend some time there.  Instead of wondering where your future spouse or job or house is and becoming increasingly annoyed that things aren’t coming together, work on developing yourself, broaden your interests, your circle, your job search, your playing field.  Instead of worrying, fretting, stewing, hashing it out over and over with Him, I need to settle. I've laid it all out before Him, I've done what I can, it's out of my hands. Walk away and do something else to pass the time.  You’ve put the cake in.  Give it time to do its thing; it’ll take awhile.  Let it.  You’ve asked God for help.  He knows.  Leave Him space to work out the details.  It’ll probably take awhile.  Let Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment